Book Review: The Husband's secret

As promised a week ago, I finally had some time to write my book review in between "computer problems dealing". I'll start by telling how the book swapping at the campsite started and will finish by being very vague about today's book content.

Book swap


The book swap shelf at the campsite is a relatively recent development. Over the years some of our campsite users forgot their books and never came to claim them. Two seasons ago, in June, an English couple asked whether we could lend them some books. I agreed and delighted to see my small collection they offered to swap them for books they had finished. That's how I started the modest book swap shelf at reception. Anyone can take a book and bring it back or swap it for another one or just keep it.

I am passionate about reading and at the end of the season I always check for books I'd like to read. Once I've finished them I bring them back and sometimes add my own books. We have books in 3 languages English, Dutch and French, but the system is best known and practised by English speaking people. That's why we have mainly English written books.

Book review

So, for today's book review I've chosen The Husband's secret by Liane Moriarty.

I was much attracted by its title* as well as its cover. (I absolutely love butterflies!) And who isn't intrigued by secrets?

It was the first time I ever heard about Liane, the author, and I must admit she has the talent to captivate. Throughout the chapters we read the account of three different women, whose lives are somehow interwoven. As you can guess one of them has a husband with a secret, which she will discover rather early in the book.

You might suggest knowing the secret makes the rest of the book uninteresting, but you would be wrong to think so!

*and Liane's afterword will perfectly explain why below:

Liane: "[...] Apparently the brain simply doesn't like keeping [secrets]. Neuroscientist David Eagleman explains that secrets create a 'neural conflict'. One part of the brain is desperate to spill the beans. The other part wants to do the right thing. Researchers have found that carrying a secret actually feels like you're carrying a physical burden. When people confess or write down their deepest-held secrets, there are mesurable decreases in their stress-hormone levels. [...] I have a five-year-old son and a three-year old daughter and right now they are both entirely incapable of keeping secrets from me. 'We had ice creams! It's a secret' they holler as I open the front door, while their father makes 'zip it' motions across his lips. I know this won't last, but in the meantime it's such a pleasure to see their sparkling eyes as their secrets burst from their lips. [...]"

So much for the extract in the bonus part of the book. Don't you just love the way she writes? The book will be on the swap shelf this Summer. Which one of you will come and get it? And which book would you suggest in return?

Commentaires

Articles les plus consultés